German V6 project 95% finished

Ligt je MR2 tot het laatste schroefje uit elkaar omdat hij heftig getuned wordt ? Of wordt je tweezitter volledig gerestaureerd voor de eeuwigheid ? Hier kun je je project delen met de andere leden...

Moderator: Pieten

hot-chili

German V6 project 95% finished

Bericht door hot-chili »

Hello,
some of you know me from Duderstadt meeting or from german MR2 Forum.
Last 3 years I work on my V6 engine project in germany and changed my 3S-GE against a 3VZ-FE from the Toyota Camry.
This was much work but it was the best I make ever at MR2 tuning.

Facts:
- 3L V6 engine with 6750rpm
- only 30kg more wheigt.
- 208hp at 5850rpm and 287Nm at 4500upm (made a litle selfmade headwork)
- only 0,5L more fuel need then my old 3S-GE (I need last 8000km 10,1L at 100km
- Top speed 231km/h with 3S-GE tranny, more is possible with longer 5 gear
- Elasticity between 45-102% better then my old 3S-GE.
- fit 100% into the MR2 W2 engine bay and is full compatible to the S54 tranny.

With this engine the MR2 is a total different car. Now cruising and race with the same engine is possible and the sound is great.

My MR2:
Afbeelding

V6 vs. 3S-GE
Afbeelding

The V6 inside my car:
Afbeelding

Here is a short video of my first engine start:
http://www.mein-mr2.de/Bilder/V6-Motor/ ... 20Lauf.WMV
and the dyno run of the V6:
http://www.mein-mr2.de/Filme/3VZ-FE%20L ... essung.wmv

Here is now the first picture of my V6 install set.
There are 5 parts which are not on the picture because they are not finished until now. One of this is the big new exhaust pipe system.
Afbeelding

Now I can produce any V6 compatible wire harness:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Now I work at least on a new exhaust system, I can make it compatible to the 3S-GE system or I use a original Audi TT exhaust, that fitt perfect under the MR2:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Here you see the dynorun results from 5 differten engines, 3S-GE with 156 and 170hp, my V6, 3S-GTE at 1bar and 1,4 bar pressure, the results are in km/h at 4 gear, not at rpm, so it is more exact.
Afbeelding
Good too see how much torque the V6 produce at low rotation and it is better up to 3200rpm or 90km/h then the 3S-GTE.

Next 2 month I will try to make an emission test on a emission dyno. I will reach the Euro 2 to get an 100% european law resistant emission paper.

Now there are 5 german V6 swaps at this time who use my install set.

Here you can find many pictures, videos and test results:
http://www.mein-mr2.de/V6/
http://www.mein-mr2.de/Bilder/V6-Motor/

Hope you like it?! ;)

If you want more informations please contact me.
Dokter Rob
Zere vingers van het typen..
Type MR2: AW11

Bericht door Dokter Rob »

Looks good to me!

Why did you choose a V6 from the Camry?

What did you pay for the parts, and how many hours did you put in it from the start till driving?

Keep up the good work!
hot-chili

Bericht door hot-chili »

I think all togehter will be 1000h of work or some more...:::| But this are not only work on the engine. I make cable plans, prototype parts, the wire harness and many parts more.

The V6 3VZ-FE from the camry is a very good engine, its simple, cheap, no electric problems and its very powerfull.
The best engine I ever drive. You can drive it on snow, on race tracks and have never problems; it is so much fun.;D
The only problem is, that you can not drive faster then 231km/h or you must change the tranny.

I pay 2500€ for the Camry, 2000€ for replace parts like clutch, 3000€ for the prototype parts to fit the V6, 400€ TÜV paper, 500€ painting/oil and so on.

All together it must be around 8500€ and now the exhaust system include new catalytic converter and 100% stainless steal will be around 1500€ more.

But with my V6 install set it is much cheaper, if you can change the engine yourself it is possible around 5000€.
Xhermes
Contacteer:

Bericht door Xhermes »

Very very nice! I take it you also needed to change the engine mounts? Did you make an adapter plate ( if thats even possible ) or did you cut them out/reweld?
Midship Runabout Blog
hot-chili

Bericht door hot-chili »

You need only 1 new engine mount, I make a complete new one.
Take a look on the install set picture, there you can see the new engine mount.

The front engine mount I replace against the stronger from the 3S-GTE, but this is not necessary .

You can use the 3S-GE tranny or the 3S-GTE tranny (inside same as from the Camry), both fit up to 80%, rest finished my parts.

But there are so many specials, it is to difficult to explain. Most work is the wire harness, I need 40-50h to make it complete new.

One of my buyers use a supercharger on the V6, but he is still at work on it.
He makes lot of tuning on the 3VZ-FE, his targed his 300+PS.

I new engine control unit like e-manage ultimate would bring much on the 3VZ-FE because Toyota reduce the power of the engine or it would kill the upper V8 engines... :lach:

To install the V6 it is easier then the 3S-GE, because there is more space in length.
The only damage to install the V6 are 2x 6mm holes in the engine bay wall, thats all. Later it looks like a 100% original Toyota engine inside the MR2. 8)
Huub
Ik lul al aardig mee !

Bericht door Huub »

Nice! I had my car converted last year in England bij Woodsport. My car and some information;

showthread.php?t=4089

It also has some headwork done. And it has a lighter flywheel.

My next step wil be some electronic tuning. But i still have to figure out what the best options are.

Welcome here! :)
Xhermes
Contacteer:

Bericht door Xhermes »

I've seen quite a few installs by Paul Woods in the UK. There are 2 members here that converted there SW20 by him. I do believe its an awesome engine in the SW chassis. However, there seems to be a lot of skeptism about the performance vs a turbo engine.
Midship Runabout Blog
hot-chili

Bericht door hot-chili »

Yes, I know woodsport, but this is not the "standard" I like, he makes many parts only compatible. I deliver complete new parts, so it is a higher price.
The big different is, I deliver all parts to your home or any place you like and you get a big german install instruction. And I make a complete new and 100% fitted V6 wire harness.
Anybody who can replace a engine will be able to install the V6 engine with my install instruction inside his own garage. He must only be able to understand german language. ;)

Yes, I know the discussion about V6 and Turbo, it is very slow explained in my eyes:

1. I don´t like the turbo, it is so uncomfortable to drive, needs many fuel if you drive fast and I know so many people, who invest 10.000€ into it and drive not only 1m until years because it isn´t runing.
The V6 can be repaird from every Toyota station and its running and running all the year under all conditions, if you have trouble with the turbo here, you have a big problem.

2. The V6 is at slow rotation better then the turbo, at more then 3000upm the V6 has no chance against a turbo,
but I think small 225hp turbo and V6 had same speed on the street, there is no realy big difference.
On my dyno diagram (yellow), you see a tuned 265hp GEN 3 Turbo and the difference is not so big to my 208hp V6.

But speed is not realy important for me, it is the smooth V6 feeling.:dux-blij_thumb-up:
You can drive at 1000rpm or 5000rpm and you have always enough power, the torqe is realy fantastic, its like a diesel.
I like the V6 so much, this engine is perfect to enjoy the MR2 realy.

In germany it isn´t longer allowed to install the turbo into Euro 2 cars, you need here for any car a exhaust test, this cost around 3000€.
This test I make now on the V6 and then it is 100% legal and we save 225€ tax here in germany any year.;D

Same with open airfilter, this is no longer allowed in germany, I use the original Camry airfilter box.
franksmits

Bericht door franksmits »

Good to see that you put some life in the Mr2-v6 thing. It will be a lot easyer for people who wanna swap! Nice job!
Gidon-V6
Contacteer:

Bericht door Gidon-V6 »

Nice engine :dux-blij_thumb-up:
Another one from Woodsport here.
Afbeelding
hot-chili

Bericht door hot-chili »

Yes, I invest until now over 20.000€ into the V6 parts.:::|

I need very important the Euro 2 emission paper, without this I have many trouble here in germany.
Perhaps I make this test at march or april.
This cost me 2500€ up to 4500€, because I musst make a emission paper for all MR2 MKII types from 1989-1999. And I musst stay 30% under the emission permition. The Euro 2 allows 2,2g CO at 1km, I musst get under 1,54g at 1km same with HX and NOx.

I think I will be at 05.04.2009 at "Haltern am See" near Dortmund/Oberhausen at our big spring MR2 meeting.
If somebody is interested in my engine/parts he can meet me there.
erikmr
Contacteer:

Bericht door erikmr »

AfbeeldingAfbeelding

DUDERSTADT 2022 28 07 tot 31 07
Xhermes
Contacteer:

Bericht door Xhermes »

Might be a nice meeting for our MR2's aswell. You can put it up at " Animocheck " here :)
Midship Runabout Blog
erikmr
Contacteer:

Bericht door erikmr »

8) bitte nicht markus ;D
ich wolte der einzige niederlander dort sein ;)
AfbeeldingAfbeelding

DUDERSTADT 2022 28 07 tot 31 07
MarcoTwo
Type MR2: SW20/21/22 + ZZW30
Contacteer:

Bericht door MarcoTwo »

Xhermes schreef:I've seen quite a few installs by Paul Woods in the UK. There are 2 members here that converted there SW20 by him. I do believe its an awesome engine in the SW chassis. However, there seems to be a lot of skeptism about the performance vs a turbo engine.

Driving both options is believing (port & polished 3VZ-FE + Gen3 Turbo with some mods).;) :) :) :) :)
Greetz, MaRco2!
Sinds juli 2001 lid. www.marotaxaties.nl
Afbeelding
mrgeel

Bericht door mrgeel »

erikmr schreef:8) bitte nicht markus ;D
ich wolte der einzige niederlander dort sein ;)

Gruss, MRGEEL8)
Quadc@msix
Ik lul al aardig mee !

Camry V6

Bericht door Quadc@msix »

Dokter Rob schreef:Looks good to me!

Why did you choose a V6 from the Camry?

What did you pay for the parts, and how many hours did you put in it from the start till driving?

Keep up the good work!

I guess the 3VZ engine from Camry or Solara are the best choise to fit "painless" in the MR2 enginebay. I concidered a 3VZ as well, but did choose the 5VZ. Before I decided that I did some research in the states, the 5 VZ has more technical reserves, has oilcooled pistons etc. this engine was designed for heavier work......now it is still "stock" with the supercharger, but I do have more plans wit it in the future.......pic of my engine: Afbeelding

Your installation looks awesome Chilli......look forward to see it "live" keep us posted!

J8) hn / Quadcamsix
"technology is the substitute 4 cubic inches, but what if I have both?" -=3.4 supercharged MONSTER=-
Eeuwige twijfelaar

Bericht door Eeuwige twijfelaar »

SuperTWO schreef:Driving both options is believing (port & polished 3VZ-FE + Gen3 Turbo with some mods).;) :) :) :) :)
Been there done that, gen 3 wins hands down.
hot-chili

Bericht door hot-chili »

I think everybody is welcome at that german meeting, but please contact the maker of the meeting, because he needs to reserve the restaurant.

Yes, the 3VZ-FE fits very good, the 5VZ-FE is much more work and in germany not avaible.

Yesterday the first woman buy my V6 install set for here 1998 MR2.8)
MarcoTwo
Type MR2: SW20/21/22 + ZZW30
Contacteer:

Bericht door MarcoTwo »

Michel H schreef:Been there done that, gen 3 wins hands down.

3VZ is the winner.:) ;)
Greetz, MaRco2!
Sinds juli 2001 lid. www.marotaxaties.nl
Afbeelding
Plaats reactie